Mason Manor Apartments
Developer: Flatiron Partners, LLC, Classic Development Company, LLC
Location: Boiling Springs, South Carolina
Mason Manor, located in Boiling Springs, South Carolina, and originally built in 2000, is an existing Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) property serving seniors earning 60 percent or less of the Area Median Income. For CAHEC, Mason Manor marks the first self re-syndication of a property previously syndicated by CAHEC. The re-syndication provides a new allocation of credits to preserve the already existing LIHTC property. Mason Manor consists of 98 one-bedroom units in fourteen single-story residential buildings. During the rehabilitation, the windows, roofs, and exterior signage were replaced, and new kitchens, baths, and HVAC systems were installed. Residents can also enjoy an on-site library, fitness center, computer center, picnic area, and laundry room. Because many of the seniors have been long-time neighbors, the residents at Mason Manor have become family and take great pride in their community. It is an honor for us to ensure the residents will continue to have a safe, affordable place to live.
Recovery Point of Charleston
Developer: AU Associates, Inc.
Location: Charleston, West Virginia
New Construction/Special Needs/24 units
Recovery Point of Charleston located in Charleston, West Virginia, is a unique development that serves as a home for women recovering from substance abuse. This newly constructed community is comprised of 24 one-bedroom units with 650 square feet of living space. Residents of Recovery Point are provided services at the adjacent Recovery Center, a 90 bed family and women’s shelter. Twelve of the units will target households earning 40 percent or less of the Area Median Income, while the remaining 12 will target households earning 60 percent or less of the Area Median Income. The Recovery Point of Charleston gained national attention on Monday, May 14, when U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Secretary, Ben Carson, joined lawmakers to tour the rehabilitation facility. Communities like Recovery Point provide a sense of hope for residents that wouldn’t otherwise exist. One resident stated, “Along the way, something just clicked. It’s peer driven. We all relate to each other, we all help each other, we’ve been through the same things.” Ensuring these women have access to safe, affordable housing along their road to recovery is something we are proud
to be a part of.
Developer: Fred G. Mills, Sr., Fred G. Mills, Jr.
Location: Lumberton, North Carolina
New Construction/Family/64 units
Northeast Pointe, located in Lumberton, North Carolina, is a beautiful 64-unit new construction development comprised of 36 two-bedroom units and 28 three-bedroom units serving families earning 60 percent or less of the Area Median Income. On-site amenities include a community kitchen, gazebo, computer center, and a playground. This new community is a welcome sight for families in this region. In 2016, Hurricane Matthew hit the area hard and left catastrophic flooding, widespread damage, and property loss. The construction of Northeast Pointe was an important addition as the community rebuilt. The on-site manager stated, “A lot of my residents lost a lot during Hurricane Matthew and had no place to call home.” Northeast Pointe has provided residents a fresh start after Hurricane Matthew, and ensures they have a safe, affordable place to live for years to come.
Developer: PPS Development
Location: Moscow, Pennsylvania
New Construction/Elderly/48 units
Located just outside of Scranton, Pennsylvania, Moscow touts a population of just over 2,000 people. Although a small community, population and growth has been steady since 2000 and is projected to remain positive through 2021, with senior households expected to see the biggest impact. The newly constructed Academy II will serve seniors age 62 and over earning 60 percent or less of the Area Median Income. This development is comprised of 48 units – 44 one-bedroom and four two-bedroom units. The general partner and developer of Academy II include Mark and Joseph Paradise, brothers, and a third partner, John W. Pardue. The Paradise brothers are the definition of local developers, spending their entire development career in the Scranton area. In addition, Mark Paradise lives a half mile from the development site and attends church two blocks away along with many of the residents. Along with spacious apartments, residents can enjoy a community room, fitness center, laundry room, picnic area, and game room. Academy II allows seniors to continue to live in their close-knit community without worrying about their safety or affordability.